13.5.09

Lovely

A few years ago there was a big marijuana bust up my street, and the best thing that came of it was that my neighbors went to jail and, presumably, their five vicious pit bulls were taken and put on perimeter control of said prison. As a ten year old craving candy from the corner store, may I say that threat of facial scarring is not a suitable method for teaching kids about healthy eating. But like I said, they've all long since been arrested, and I can run by their house with no fear in my heart. I actually just picked some lilac off their property yesterday, so assuming I can rule out contact high, as long as I don't throw my bouquet on a fire I'm not reprehensible for any mood alteration whilst in it's presence. I'm not sure how long/whether marijuana residue will stick to a thing. I'm not really that kind of girl. Except on Tuesdays.

Unrelated: I made cookies for my boyfriend, brother, and Dad.




A Better White Chocolate Macadamia Nut (Oatmeal) Cookie
Makes about 24-30.

It's only better because I put some spices and oat-y goodness in. Nutmeg and all-spice balance the sweetness of the white chocolate and the sugar. I actually prefer my cookies less sweet, but these were never really going to be for me, so it was sugar and white flour galore.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  • 1 cup of AP flour
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 a tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp all-spice
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup plus a little more granulated white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 T vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups white chocolate
  • Scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups roasted salted macadamia nuts.

I've only just begun to be able to suss out basic baking without a guideline recipe, which is the best thing ever. I don't like going into something without being able to visualize a winner's outcome. This is why I hate street-racing and darts. 
Beat the butter till fluffy. Add both sugars and beat till blended. Add the egg, beat well. It'll smooth everything out. Add the vanilla. Set the bowl aside.
Assemble all of your dry ingredients in another bowl and whisk to blend
. Add the wet ingredients, the white chocolate, and the nuts. Mix to incorporate.
I like my cookies palm-sized. Whatever. Make them as big or small as you like (but consider your baking-time if you make your cookies really really small- they'll burn). Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment